The Board of Public Education for the City of Savannah and the County of Chatham is hereinafter referred to in these Bylaws as “the Board.”
These Bylaws are promulgated pursuant to the authority to make rules and regulations delegated by the General Assembly of Georgia in creating the Board a body politic and corporate, and are further made in the exercise of such powers as are granted to boards of education generally under the Constitution and laws of the State of Georgia.
The functions of the Board shall be to formulate and to adopt policies for the operation of the school system; to seek means of financing this operation and for providing suitable buildings and equipment; to employ a Superintendent; to engage personnel qualified to carry out the policies; to hold these personnel, through the Superintendent, responsible
for the efficient administration of the schools under these policies; and to carry out such other duties as are imposed by law.
1. Regular meetings shall be held at 3:00 o’clock P.M. on the first Wednesday of each month unless otherwise ordered by the Board.
2. Special meetings may be called by the President or shall be called upon the written request of three (3) members. Except in cases of emergency, members shall be given at least twenty-four hours’ notice stating the purpose(s) of the meeting, which shall be
the only order of business at said meeting.
3. The presiding officer at all meetings of the Board shall be entitled to vote on all questions which may arise at the meeting.
4. A majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at meetings of the Board. The presiding officer may be counted to make up this majority. The votes of a majority of the members present shall be necessary to take any binding action or to pass any resolutions, provided there is a quorum present. Any action taken by less than a majority of the Board members may be rescinded by a majority of the Board members at the next regular meeting or within thirty (30) days of such action, whichever is later. When a quorum is not present, a lesser number than a quorum may adjourn any meeting from time to time to another hour or date.
5. The rules contained in Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall govern the Board in all cases to which they are applicable in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws and any statutes or regulations applicable to the Board.
The officers of the Board shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Vice-President pro tempore, a Secretary, an Assistant Secretary, a Treasurer, and an Assistant Treasurer. Only the President, the Vice-President, and the Vice-President Pro Tempore need be members of the Board. Other officers or agents may be appointed from time to time at the Board’s discretion.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS:
1. The President shall be the candidate duly elected as the President of the Board by the voters of Chatham County, with a four-year term of office as provided by law.
2. The Vice-President shall be elected by the members present at the first meeting in January each year. The member receiving the majority of the votes cast shall be declared the duly elected Vice-President of the Board for that year. Should no member receive a majority of the votes cast, those receiving the highest and next to the highest number of votes shall be placed upon a run-off ballot.
3. The Vice-President pro tempore shall be elected in the same manner as the Vice-President is elected.
4. The Secretary, and Assistant Secretary shall be elected following nominations for each respective office. Those persons receiving the majority vote of the members
present shall be declared duly elected. Elections for these offices shall take place on the date specified for voting for the offices of Vice-President and Vice-President pro tempore.
5. The Superintendent shall serve as Treasurer of the Board. The Assistant Treasurer shall be the Chief Financial Officer.
6. The Board shall fill vacancies in any elective office by electing a successor at a regular or a special meeting, said successor to serve for the remainder of the current
calendar year. If a successor to the President is to be elected, the Vice-President shall serve as President until the office is filled by the voters of Chatham County at
the next general election. The election shall be held in the manner provided in
VACANCIES ON THE BOARD:
Vacancies which occur on the Board, other than by the regular expiration of the term of office, shall be filled as provided by law in accordance with O.C.G.A
DUTIES OF OFFICERS :
1. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Board, shall appoint all special committees and designate the Chairpersons thereof, shall be an ex-officio member of
all committees with the right to vote, and shall represent the Board generally when dealing with the public and with supervisory employees. The President shall have such other duties as may be assigned by law or by these Bylaws or which may be granted by the Board.
2. The Vice-President shall act for the President in the absence or incapacity of the President.
3. The Vice-President pro tempore shall act for the President in the absence or incapacity of both the President and the Vice-President.
4. The Secretary shall keep accurate minutes of the proceedings of the Board; shall act as secretary of all committees; shall send out all communications and notices
for the Board and committees as may be directed by the President, Vice-President, or Committee Chairpersons; shall be the guardian of the Board’s corporate seal and shall be charged generally with the preservation and safekeeping in good order of all records
and like matters; shall arrange suitable meeting places for the Board and committees thereof; and shall discharge such other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
In the absence of the Secretary, the Assistant Secretary shall perform all duties of the Secretary as herein set forth.
5. The Superintendent, as Treasurer, shall execute a surety bond to the Board in the sum of $50,000 with an approved surety company; shall keep, or cause to be kept
safely and accurately, all books, papers, and accounts pertaining to the Treasurer’s office; and shall make available to the Board any records, answer any questions,
or attend any meetings when expressly requested by the President. The Superintendent, as Treasurer, shall audit and approve all accounts against the Board;
shall make a quarterly statement to the Board of income and expenditures; and shall, at the end of each fiscal year, make and publish an annual statement. The Superintendent, as Treasurer, shall see that at all times securities shall be pledged in an amount sufficient to cover the funds of the Board on deposit in the designated depositories; and shall protect and keep in a safe place all securities belonging to the Board, either holding the actual securities or safekeeping receipts of responsible depositories. The books and accounts of the Superintendent as Treasurer, shall be audited annually by an auditor appointed by the Board or by the State of Georgia. All checks over $50,000 shall be signed by the Superintendent and either the President of the Board or the Vice-President of the Board or such other individuals as the Board may from time to time designate by resolution. In the absence of the Superintendent, as Treasurer, the Assistant Treasurer shall perform all duties of the Superintendent, as Treasurer, as herein set forth, and shall be authorized to sign such checks as may be authorized by the Board.
AMENDMENT OR SUSPENSION:
1. Amendment of these rules may be made by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members present at any regular meeting.
2. Suspension of these rules may be made upon the affirmative vote of at least seven (7) members at any meeting. Should seven (7) or fewer members be present, a
unanimous vote shall be required for suspension of these rules. Any suspension shall be only for the purpose and for the time specifically stated.
The corporate seal shall be an impression upon paper or wax of a circular device bearing within circumferential lines the words, “The Board of Public Education for the City of
Savannah and the County of Chatham — Chartered
December 18, 1866.”
Board Bylaws (PDF 24.9KB)