Skip navigation links
Skip navigation links
Risk Management Programs
Self Insured Workers' Compensation
M. Ann Levett, Ed.D. Superintendent of Schools

Savannah-Chatham Co.
Public School System

208 Bull Street
Savannah, GA 31401
(912) 395-5600

Driving Directions:

208 Bull Street
(Admin. Offices)

2 Laura Avenue
(Board Meetings)

© 1998-present
All Rights Reserved

Self Insured Workers' Compensation 

This web page provides information to the employees of the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System in the event of a work-related accident or injury. The Savannah-Chatham County Public School System self–insures the cost of Workers’ Compensation benefits.  This means that your claim will be handled by personnel at the Savannah-Chatham Public Schools and our Claim Administrator.  It will not be necessary for you to deal with an insurance company.

What is Workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ Compensation is an employer-paid benefit program which provides you with certain medical and lost income benefits if you are injured by accident in the performance of your job with the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System.  It also provides benefits to your dependents if you die as a result of a job-related accident/injury.

What Do I Do If I am Injured on the Job?

Report the accident/injury to your supervisor immediately.  If your injury prevents you from reporting the accident/injury to your supervisor, you should ask someone to do it for you.  Failure to report the accident/injury within a certain time period could jeopardize your rights to receive benefits or cause a delay in receiving them.

What Do I Do About Getting Medical Treatment for My Injury?

SCCPSS has made arrangements with medical doctors who are available to treat your Workers’ Compensation Injury.  A panel of the doctors is listed on the back of this pamphlet and at your work site.  After you report your accident/injury to your supervisor, you have the right to select one of the medical doctors from the panel of physicians.  Your supervisor will assist you in receiving the necessary medical treatment.

What if I need Emergency Treatment?

Many of the medical doctors listed on the panel are available to treat an emergency.  If, however, emergency treatment becomes necessary, you may seek emergency treatment at an emergency facility.  After the treatment of an emergency, you must select one of the doctors from the panel of physicians for any follow-up care.

How Much Do I Pay for Medical Bills?

Nothing!  SCCPSS will pay for 100% of the reasonable and necessary medical services when ordered by an authorized treating physician.

What If I Go To My Own Doctor?

SCCPSS is NOT responsible to paying for medical services or treatment if you seek medical services from other than one of the doctors listed on the back of this pamphlet or posted at your work site.

 I Cannot Work Due to My Accident/Injury?

If an authorized treating physician keeps you out of work due to a work-related injury, SCCPSS will pay lost income benefits up to 2/3 of your average weekly wage not to exceed $575 per week in accordance with the Georgia Workers’ Compensation law.

What If I Can Never Return to My Former Position with SCCPSS?

If a job-related injury prevents you from returning to your former position with the District, SCCPSS may provide you with rehabilitation services to assist you in returning to another suitable job within the District or with another employer.

What is a Specialized Medical Provider?

Specialized medical providers are highly skilled practitioners or entities such as physical, occupational or speech therapists. Additional specialized medical providers may include, but are not limited to, diagnostic imaging services, prosthetics and orthotics.

Which Specialized Providers May I Use?

The authorized treating physician, in accordance with Georgia Workers’ Compensation Law  Code Section O.C.G.A 34-9-201(b)(1), arranges for any specialized medical services as the nature of the injury requires without prior authorization from the State Board of Workers’ Compensation.  Neither Savannah Chatham County Public School System nor the Office of Risk Management refers employees to specific specialized medical provider, or approves referrals made by authorized treating physicians.                                                                           

What Are My Legal Rights?

If you feel you are not receiving the proper benefits or if your claim is denied, you may timely file a claim with the State Board of Workers’ Compensation and request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. 

Medical treatment is prescribed and directed by your selected authorized treating physician. Physician should not refer ancillary medical care to facilities in which they have financial interest. If you have any suggestions, questions or concerns please contact the referring physician, Underwriters Safety & Claims, Office of Risk Management (912) 395-5576 or the Confidential Ethics Hotline 1-844-ETHICS1 ( 844-384-4271 ).

SCCPSS desires to do everything possible to ensure that your work-related accident/injury is handled quickly, fairly and in accordance with the Georgia Workers’ Compensation Law.  We have retained the services of Underwriters Safety & Claims, 5105 Paulsen Street, Suite 241, Savannah, GA 31405 (912) 355-8989 ext. 237 to assist in providing your benefits. If you have any questions concerning your benefits, please contact your supervisor or Risk Management at (912) 395-5576.




318 Mall Blvd. Suite 300B
Savannah, Ga 31406
(912) 358-1515

Urgent Care Center
361 Commercial Dr.
Savannah, Ga 31406

(912) 355-6221

4425 Paulsen Street
Savannah, GA        
(912) 355-6615

Dr. Kamaleson
Dr. David Palmer
210 East Derenne Ave.
Savannah, GA     
(912) 644-5300

11700 Mercy Blvd., Plaza D, Suite 3-C    
Savannah, GA        
(912) 927-8887   

4720 Waters Avenue
Savannah, GA
(912) 354-4800

11700 Mercy Blvd, Plaza D
Savannah, GA 31419
(912) 927-8887