Building Bridges Interventions
Building Bridges Academy High is designed to serve students in grades 9-12 who have not been successful at their home school despite numerous and varied interventions. Building Bridges Academy High provides small group and individualized academic, social and emotional programming. Program personnel will also provide social skills instruction emphasizing effective decision making, conflict resolution, emotion management, career exploration and workplace readiness.
The goal of the program is to develop the academic, social, emotional, and cognitive abilities of each student using a personalized approach that includes the six guiding principles of Character Counts which are:
Building Bridges Academy High will provide a supportive, personalized, content-rich learning environment that supports behavioral intervention and academic acceleration; provide a hands-on and project-based learning setting that facilitates earning credits towards grade level promotion (in support of the Cohort Graduation Rate) and challenge students with high expectations in order to build confident, independent thinkers, with strong collaboration and problem solving skills.
Key components to success at Building Bridges Academy High include academic and cognitive enrichment, social and emotional support, and case management services.
Academic and Cognitive Enrichment includes:
· Career education and work experience. Students will develop employment portfolios, complete with resumes and letters of recommendation based on real-work experiences through work-based learning. Students will also receive life skills classes to enhance their ability to live in the real world.
· Intensive Reading and Language Arts interventions will provide support to struggling readers to promote Powerful Literacy through increased learning time. Building Bridges will provide Response to Intervention and Positive Behavioral Intervention & Supports (PBIS).
· Supplemental academic support in the core content areas will be based on individual student needs as outlined in the Bridge to Success Plan. The Bridge to Success Plan will be reviewed quarterly with parents and students to monitor progress and calibrate each student’s personal goals and objectives.
· Building Bridges Academy High will provide the opportunity for students to recover credit and/or accelerate using a blended learning approach which supports digital fluency through programs such as A plus learning.
· Special Education Services will be provided to students with disabilities as required by law.
· Assistance with parent conferences will be utilized in order to foster positive parent/teacher relationships.
Social and Emotional Support includes:
· Individual and small group counseling will be utilized to foster a community of trust and collaboration.
· Family Counseling will be a key component of the Building Bridges Academy. The goal of family counseling is to help families improve communication, solve problems, understand and handle special situations and create a better functioning home environment. Parents will be required to participate in two hours (minimum) of family counseling as a condition of re-admittance into a traditional school setting.
· The Building Bridges approach will include opportunities for single gender and pro-social learning activities. The advantages of these activities include: Ø custom-tailored learning and instruction, Ø greater harmony, especially in heterosexual relationships and, Ø meeting the social and intellectual needs of boys and girls.
· Peer mediation will be used as a tool to foster conflict resolution skills.
· Case management is a collaborative process of assessment, planning, facilitation, care coordination, evaluation, and advocacy for options and services to meet the needs of students and/or their families through collaboration with other agencies.
· Case management provides support to students/families in crisis and serves as advocates to ensure a smooth transition back to the traditional school setting.