Savannah State University’s GEAR UP Program serves over 900 students from Groves High School and the School of Liberal Studies. GEAR UP is unique from other federal pre-college programs because it requires in-kind commitment from local community partners. The original GEAR UP grant from the U.S. Department of Education is in the amount of $3,158,400.00 and is supported by a $1,310,400 in-kind match contribution from local community partners. GEAR UP’s primary partners include Savannah State University, Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools, Memorial Health University, Parent University and St. Joseph’s/Candler Hospital. Since the approval of the grant, Capitol City Bank & Trust Company, the American Association of Blacks in Energy (AABE), Chatham Area Transit (CAT) and the 100 Black Men of America, Inc. Savannah Chapter has been added to the GEAR UP community partnership.
- Provide services to improve the academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education of targeted students.
- Provide information to students and their parents about the advantages of obtaining postsecondary education and available college financing options.
- Involve participating students in educational experiences designed to encourage their high school graduation and enrollment in postsecondary education.
- Eleventh and twelth graders at Groves
- Eleventh and twelth graders at the School of Liberal Studies at Savannah High School
- Personal/Social Counseling
- Academic Advisement
- Study Skills
- Test-Taking Skills
- Educational/Career and Cultural Activities
- College and Technical School Visits
- Financial Aid Assistance
- Saturday Sessions
- SAT/ACT/GHSGT Test Preparation
- Assistance with College Applications
- Professional Development for Teachers
- Summer Programs
- Fee Waivers for SAT/ACT and College Application