Family Engagement Center
Did you know that there is a family engagement room located at Gould? The family engagement center has books and videos on parenting, discipline issues, how to help your child in school, hands-on materials to check out, as well as other information useful to parents and students.
We are interested in knowing what materials you think would be helpful to add to the family engagement room. Contact Mrs. Maggie Rodriguez at 912-395-5400 or by email at Maggie.Rodriguez@sccpss.com with your suggestions!
Why Parental Involvement? Research shows when parents are involved in their child's education and partner with their child's school, children do better and enjoy school more.
How Can I Get Involved?
Parents are busy people, but there are many different ways that you can become involved with your child's education! Here are a few ideas:
1. Share your child's strengths, talents, and interests with his/her teacher.
2. Share expectations and set goals together with your child and then share these also with the teacher.
3. Be knowledgeable about your child's school activities and schedule. Talk with your child daily about what he/she has learned, and check notebooks/bookbags for any type of correspondence that may have been sent home from school.
4. Make appointments as needed to discuss your child's progress or concerns.
5. Attend school functions, meetings, and events.
6. Participate in informal opportunities to talk with and get to know school staff and educators.
7. Talk with your child's teacher about creating home learning games and activities.
8. Be an active part of decision-making committees at your child's school.
9. Help to plan, and attend family nights on improving study habits, doing homework, etc.
10. Volunteer at your child's school. Our school welcomes parent volunteers. Contact your child's school to find out how you can become involved as a volunteer.