Massie's Courtyard Gardens
Massie's two courtyards - one for girls and the other for boys - were the traditional location for recess for the students. Today the courtyards house beautiful gardens maintained by the Garden Club of Savannah.
Originally organized in March 1927, the Garden Club of Savannah is the oldest active garden club in the State of Georgia. With 72 active memberships, the not-for-profit Garden Club encourages gardening through education with a wide interest in local community, environmental, and historic preservation. A Spring tour of Historic District gardens located in the area north of Gaston Street (NOGS) was introduced in 1975. This tour funds numerous projects for the benefit of the local community including the upkeep and care of Massie School Boy's and Girl's Gardens. For further information about the next annual NOGS Tour of Hidden Gardens on April 17th and 18th, 2015, visit the Garden Club of Savannah website.