Skip navigation links
Media Center
Skip navigation links
FAQ Parent Brochure
Frequently Asked Questions
West Chatham Elementary
820 Pine Barren Road
Pooler, GA 31322
Phone: (912) 395-3600
FAX: (912) 201-5646

Sharon Draeger,

Hours: Bell Times
PK - 5th

Driving Directions
© 1998-present
All Rights Reserved
What if my child has special needs
It is important to identify students who are having difficulties as early as possible in order to help them to succeed to their optimum potential. Often teachers, who are exposed to many students with a wide range of ability levels, are the first to notice that a child's behaviors or skills are significantly different from those of other students his or her age. When this happens, the teacher will usually discuss his or her observations with the parents and may refer the student to the Response to Intervention (RTI) process.  Although RTI is a regular education procedure – not a special education process – special education personnel are sometimes consulted to suggest modifications and share their expertise about specific disability areas. State rules and regulations require that numerous interventions recommended by the RTI must precede referrals for a special education eligibility evaluation. In some cases this can be bypassed when the disability or need is apparent and justification is submitted. When problems are identified, students are sometimes referred for evaluation to determine if they are eligible for special education services.
If parents suspect that their child may be having problems at school, they should contact the child's teacher or the counselor at the school he or she is attending to explore options to help the student to succeed.

Last modified at 10/16/2013 8:27 AM  by Amanda B. Dunagan